South of Exotic is a leading source of information and services for buyers, sellers and suppliers of technology. A company with established Websites throughout the United States, South of Exotic provides its award-winning content via the Web and broadband. Our respected brand portfolio includes South of Exotic. For more information about the company, go here: www.southofexotic.com
Overall privacy statement
We take your privacy seriously. Because we gather certain types of information about our users we want to help you understand the terms and conditions surrounding the collection and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses the types of information we gather, how we use it, and how to correct or change it. These privacy practices apply to the Web site that you were viewing when you clicked through to this policy, which is operated by us directly, our partner, our affiliate or our franchisee.
1. What information does South of Exotic collect?
Our primary goal in collecting personal information is to provide you with the best and most useful content and services. Because we derive revenue mainly from advertising, collecting information is essential to keeping our services affordable to users.
We collect personally identifiable information when you provide it to us, such as when you register on one of our sites or an e-mail newsletter or when you register to use certain services. Several of the services that we offer on our sites, such as sweepstakes, may require registration as a condition of use. Once you register with one of our South of Exotic sites you are no longer anonymous to us. We may also receive information about you from other sources and add it to the information you provided to us.
2. What is South of Exotic's practice regarding cookies?
Your Internet browser has a feature called "cookies" which stores small amounts of data on your computer about your visit to any of our sites. You do not need to have cookies turned on to visit most of our sites, although active participation in certain areas of our sites may require cookies. Cookies alone tell us nothing about who you are unless you specifically give us personally identifiable information when, in which case we use the information to enhance your services in the ways described below. You may elect not to allow cookies to be collected by adjusting your settings on your browser.
We use technologies, including electronic images known as Web bugs--sometimes called transparent GIFs, clear GIFs, or beacons--that allow us to track general user traffic patterns. We also automatically receive and record information from our servers and from your browser, including your IP address, the time of your visit to pages on our site, and information about pages you visited. Unless you have registered for one of our products or services, the information we gather through the use of tracking technologies cannot be matched with any personally identifiable information about you unless you have specifically given us personally identifiable information, in which case we use the information to enhance your services in the ways described below.
- Keeping count of return visits to our site or our advertisers' or partners' sites
- Accumulating and reporting anonymous, aggregate (data collected in mass), statistical information on Web site and advertisement usage
- Determining which features our overall user population likes best
- Saving your password so you don't have to re-enter it each time you visit our sites
- Display the most appropriate advertising based on your interests
We allow other companies that are presenting advertisements on our sites and, sometimes, in our newsletters to use tracking technology on your computer. We do not give any personally identifiable information to them as part of this relationship. Unless you visit the website of these companies and provide them with personally identifiable information about yourself, these tracking technologies tell those advertisers nothing about who you are. Our advertisers' use of tracking technology is subject to their own privacy policies.
3. How does South of Exotic use the information?
We use the information we gather for four general purposes:
- To customize the advertising and content you see
- To enhance the user experience in our network of sites. We use tracking information to determine how well each page performs overall based on aggregate user demographics and traffic patterns to those pages. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
- To fulfill your requests for certain products and services, such as sending out electronic newsletters and enabling users to participate in paid services, polls and contests.
- To send you information you agreed to receive about topics we think will be of interest to you.
4. How does South of Exotic share the information
Personally identifiable information We will make your personally identifiable information available to other companies or people when:
We have your consent to share the information.
- We have engaged companies to work with us or on our behalf to provide a product or service that you have requested, such as opt-in e-mail announcements.
- You use co-branded services. When you use a co-branded service within our network of sites you grant us permission to pass your registration information back to that service partner. Their use of your information is subject to their applicable privacy policies.
We aggregate personally identifiable information and disclose such information in a non-personally identifiable manner to advertisers and other third parties for marketing, promotional, and other purposes. We do not disclose to these entities any information that could be used to identify you personally.
We are always seeking to improve our network of Web sites and our business. In accomplishing these objectives, we may buy or sell a company, or one or more of the companies in our corporate family may merge with or be acquired by another company. If we sell a business, we may transfer some or all of your information as a part of the sale in order that the service being provided to you may continue or for other business purposes.
5. What are my options?
Users who would rather not provide any of the user data requested by our registration process do not need to register with us. You can still view much of the content and use many of the services offered by our sites without registering. We also give users the following options:
- Opting not to receive our electronic newsletters or those of third parties when registering. Users who opt-in may remove themselves from mailing lists at any time by following the instructions at the end of the e-mail they received from us.
- Opting not to provide certain personal information when registering for a site, provided, however that you may not be able to utilize certain of our products or services without providing us with certain information.
6. How can I update my personally identifiable information?
You can correct or change the information collected during registration for any of our sites. The instructions for doing this can be found in our member services areas. Users may change information at any time and as often as necessary. Users who are experiencing problems with our services or who have questions about how our services work can contact us using e-mail addresses at the bottom of this page. Currently, we do not offer users a means by which to completely delete personal information established at the time of registration.
Any modifications to our privacy practices will be reflected first within this area of our network of Web sites. If there is a material change in our privacy practices, we will indicate on our sites that our privacy practices have changed and provide a link to the new privacy statement. If we are going to be using the information collected from users in a manner materially different from that stated at the time of collection we will send affected users written notice by email of the change.
8. Participating merchant policies
Online merchants, survey incentive vendors, and others who participate in South of Exotic services are encouraged to participate in industry privacy initiatives and to take a responsible attitude towards consumer privacy. However, since we do not have direct control over the policies or practices of participating merchants, survey incentive vendors, and other third parties, we cannot be responsible for their actions. We recommend that you always review the privacy policies of merchants and other third parties before you provide any personal information or complete any transaction with such parties.
9. Privacy of children
Our network of sites is not directed to children under the age of 13. We operate our network of sites in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act and do not permit registration by, and will not knowingly collect or use personally identifiable information from, anyone under 13 years of age. This requirement is clearly posted during the registration process.
Questions regarding this privacy statement, or regarding any other aspects of our network of Web sites, should be sent via e-mail. We read every message submitted and try to reply promptly to everyone. We may also file your comments to improve the site, or review and discard the information. Please include the brand you are referring to in your e-mail to us.